Man Loses His Head Over Chewing Gum…Literally

Chewing_gum_stickThis is one of those stories that is just too amazing to be real–but apparently it is.  It’s also a prime candidate for a Darwin Award, that’s for damn sure.

I really don’t know how else to put this, so I’m just going to come right out and say it–a Ukrainian chemistry student was killed when his chewing gum exploded in his mouth.

Who knew a stick of gum could be so lethal?

His parents found the 25-year-old student with the lower portion of his face blown off, after they heard a loud pop come from the man’s room.

Now for the weird, but fairly plausible, explanation.

Seems our unfortunate student enjoyed dipping his gum into citric acid before a good chew.  Why, you ask?  I have no idea whatsoever.  But he did.  Apparently he also had a similar-looking explosive substance on the table beside said citric acid.  You can probably figure out what happened on your own.

So, that makes the score Darwin 1, Ukrainian chem student 0.

[, Image]


Jeff Greenwell is the writer/editor of Last Angry Fan. Jeff has been known to rock a Speedo while belting out Robert Goulet tunes from his front porch, and in his spare time he enjoys capturing and training feral goats to be his minions. Also known to dig a nice brick of cheese from time to time.
2 Comments on this post.
  • Aerodrown
    15 March 2011 at 5:07 pm
    Leave a Reply

    The reason he would dip it in citric acid would be to make it sour, which is what makes pretty much every sour candy sour.

    • duh
      9 November 2011 at 1:12 am
      Leave a Reply

      Here’s an idea, buy sour gum and don’t run the risk of dipping it in an explosive substance and blowing your face off…

    Leave a Reply



    Editor's Picks