Operating team accidentally set expecting mother on fire [Cesarean fire]

A pregnant Israeli woman was reportedly left with severe burns after a Cesarean operation went really, really wrong.

The incident, which occurred at the Sheba Medical Centre in Tel HaShomer in 2008, was discovered during an investigation by Israel’s ministry of health.

The patient was swabbed with an alcohol solution before the operation. Upon entering the operating theater, the surgeon requested a second swabbing – then proceeded to to cut her open with a diathermic needle. A spark from the electrical instrument set the patient alight.

The surgical team successfully delivered a healthy baby boy after extinguishing the flames and bandaging the woman’s burns. The patient required ongoing treatment including skin grafts to her buttocks and thighs and plastic surgery.

The doctor and nurse were found to be equally responsible for the accident. [News.com.au]


C.S. Magor is the editor-in-chief and a reporter at large for We Interrupt and Uberreview. He currently resides in the Japanese countryside approximately two hours from Tokyo - where he has spent the better part of a decade testing his hypothesis that Japan is neither as quirky nor as interesting as others would have you believe.
No Comment

Leave a Reply



Editor's Picks